Feinman Law Offices
Call Us Today

Foreign marriages require more effort to end

No one looks forward to dealing with the paperwork of divorce, even when people are enjoying the prospect of a fresh start in life. But life in a marriage can bring people far and wide, and many couples do not dissolve their legal relationship in the same jurisdiction where they tied the knot.

When it comes to marriages that began outside Massachusetts or the United States, courts need to prove there is a legal marriage to dissolve. A marriage certificate from an out-of-state or foreign court may be filed with a local authority with an application to file a marriage certificate late. This form is available from courts in the Bay State.

Some other countries and states do not maintain marriage certificates going back for more than a decade or two, which may complicate the process of getting a certified copy. An embassy may be able to certify a copy, and a certified translation may also be required if an original certificate is in a language other than English.

Original documents should always be brought to divorce hearings and other scheduled proceedings. Dropping these documents in the mail does not guarantee that a court will grant the divorce or even receive them before they are required to prove a marriage exists.

Individuals and couples looking for legal help ending a marriage always have the right to an attorney to consult on how to organize the documents for the court's consideration. A lawyer can represent the interests of a spouse looking to start a new life and complete a divorce in Massachusetts as soon as possible.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Learn More About How We Can Help You

Free initial consultations are available. To set yours up, call 978-494-6669 or send the firm an email through this contact form.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

Feinman Law Offices
The Northmark Bank Building
69 Park Street, Second Floor
Andover, MA 01810

Phone: 978-494-6669
Fax: 978-475-0852
Andover Law Office Map

Contact our office
Firm Office