Back child support could affect your passport

On Behalf of | Jul 7, 2021 | Divorce

If you are a parent getting divorced, you need to think about various legal issues involving your children. In addition to child custody, many parents have to pay child support. If you have to make monthly child support payments and you fall behind, you could face harsh repercussions, including the loss of your passport privileges.

It is important to understand all of your options and do what you can to avoid falling behind on child support.

Unpaid child support and passport eligibility

According to the U.S. Department of State, parents who owe more than $2,500 in unpaid child support cannot receive U.S. passports. Moreover, if you already have a passport, you could have your passport revoked.

Whether you have planned a vacation for years or need to travel for business or to visit family members, missing child support payments could result in losing your passport privileges and prevent you from leaving the country.

Paying back child support to restore passport privileges

If you lose your passport over back child support, you can address this situation and potentially restore your privileges by making payment arrangements with the state. Once you satisfy your obligations, the state will notify the federal government and they will take your name off of their list. You should note that it can take three weeks for them to remove your name, after which you will have the ability to apply for a passport.

Whether you lose your job or struggle to pay child support because of a medical crisis, make sure you do not fall behind on monthly payments.